Eligibility Verification Requirements for Specific Level 3 Events
STAR Event eligibility is defined for each event in the Competitive Events Manual produced by National FCCLA. It is the responsibility of the Chapter Adviser to ensure each member meets the eligibility requirement for his or her competitive event before submitting online registration to compete in a STAR Event at the State Leadership Conference.
In the Baking and Pastry and Culinary Arts events, additional verification of industry training program elements is required. Entrants for these events must submit documentation of completion of the ServSafe Food Handler Certification to [email protected] at the time of registration. A limited number of entries for these two events will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Four Required Elements of an Industry Training Program within the FCS Program:
1. An OPI approved Montana Career Pathway in the corresponding area: Education, Hospitality & Tourism, or Human Services.
- The Career Pathway must also be included in the National FCCLA membership affiliation system.
2. The member (student) must be enrolled in the second course in a direct sequence or higher in the content area.
- Examples: Culinary Arts & Advanced Culinary OR Culinary Arts I & Culinary Arts II
3. Participation in work-based learning experiences that align to the Montana Career Pathway
- Work-based learning (WBL) experiences are defined as sustained interactions with industry or community professionals in real workplace settings, to the extent practicable, or simulated environments at an educational institution that foster in-depth, firsthand engagement with the tasks of a given career field, that are aligned to curriculum and instruction.
- Members must have at least 25 cumulative WBL hours within the Career Pathway aligned to the event; this may be tracked from grade 9 to current; these hours must be beyond traditional classroom instruction
4. Completion of a minimum of one applicable Industry Recognized Credential within the Montana Career Pathway by the member
- Hospitality & Tourism: nationally recognized food safety certification
- Example: ServSafe Food Handlers or Food Manager certification
- Education/Human Services: First Aid/CPR
- Other: other credentials will be considered in alignment with the Montana Career Pathway
If a member meets the four required elements, they are deemed eligible to compete in the appropriate Level 3 event listed above.